Places of interest
Some places in our tour such as:
The Hai Chau Communal House is a “must-see” whilst you are discovering our beautiful seaside city. It is located in alley No 42 on Phan Chu Trinh Street, Hai Chau 1 Ward, Hai Chau District. In front of the house, there is a pond with a rockery under the shade of an over 100-year-old bodhi tree. The words “Hai Chau Chanh Xa”, which were written using the Han script characters, were engraved on the three-door temple gate of the house.
The site is home to a holy temple of the Lady Goddess Thien Yana (Holy Mother) and 3 houses of worship. One is dedicated to the ancestors, and the other two are for praising the founding members of Hai Chau village’s 43 clans. In 1471, in the reign of Emperor Le Thanh Tong, these clans from Hieu Hien Village, Hai Chau Commune, Ngoc Son District, Thanh Hoa Province, together founded Hai Chau Village.
According to Vietnamese historians, Hai Chau Communal House was originally called Phuoc Hai Pagoda, and was where Lord Nguyen Phuc Chu visited and stayed for relaxation in 1719 during his journey to Quang Nam Province. After that, local residents built an altar for the worship of the Lord. At present, the house preserves numerous illuminated horizontal lacquered boards and spiritual scroll couplets which are engraved with Han script characters, and they date back hundreds of years.
The communal house was recognised as a historical and cultural relic on 12 July 2001 by the Ministry of Culture and Information.
A traditional festival at the house was revived in 2009 after a gap of over 30 years. The event is now held annually in late March and its aims are to honour the ancestors as well as preserve and promote Vietnamese cultural identity. The festival features solemn rituals and various exciting cultural activities. These include musical performances, a Vietnamese ethnic minority costume show, a unicorn dance, a pigeon release, and a lantern making competition. To add to the host of activities on offer, festival-goers can also watch such interesting folk games as tug-of-war, stick pushing, and sack races.
A visit to the Hai Chau Communal House will definitely leave a deep impression on you, and it is a really wonderful place to learn about the history and culture of this hospitable and friendly city.
NON NUOC STONE ART VILLAGE : Non Nuoc stone carving village located at the foot of Marble Mountains is a famous traditional village of Danang city for fine art stone engraving products. Time after time, many traditional villages have gradually disappeared but Non Nuoc stone carving village still maintains its vitality and constantly develop to this day.
Products of the village are very diverse and abundant. Visitors can not only contemplate the art of stone carving of local artisans but also choose themselves beautiful gifts made from stone for loved ones such as bracelets, rings, string of beads, frog paperweight; the statue of a pair of lions, of the eagle wingspan, the pair of angelfish by pink marble,…
HAI VAN PASS : From the central of Da Nang, following the National Street 1A to the north about 25 kilometres, you will meet the mountain pass’s base. Hai Van belongs to North Truong Son mountain range and stretches to the sea to make up a natural boundary between Da Nang Province and Thua Thien – Hue Province. The road is precarious with one side of mountain and the other side of water. The peak of the mountain pass is covered by the cloud all the year; therefore, it is also called “Cloudy Mountain Pass”. Standing at the height of 496 metres, tourists can have a general look of the view of Lang Co Town, Son Tra Peninsula, Non Nuoc – Ngu Hanh Son (Five Mountains) area. The National Street 1A connecting the North and the South is tortuous on halfway of the hill. Hai Van has an important relic of Post One – Hai Van entrance which is considered as the most significant border pass of the feudal Vietnam.
On the way through Vietnam from the North to the South, Hai Van is always an impressive geographical name. This is the most beautiful mountain pass of Vietnam with obstacles when passing by and is also the last mountain of the vessel Truong Son stretching to the sea. More than six centuries ago, this land belonged to two administrative units O and Ri of the Realm Champa. King Che Man of Realm Champa then split this area to bring it as a betrothal gift to propose Princess Huyen Tran in Tran Dynasty. Nowadays, Hai Van mountain pass is the border of Thua Thien – Hue Province and Da Nang City.
In Minh Mang time (1620 – 1840), King Minh Mang decided to put up bricks to build staircases on the path so that it is easy for transporting. And on the top of the mountain pass, a citadel was established to create an entrance to protect the mountain pass and to be a stop for passengers. Until 1826, the citadel was heaped up to become higher. The northern and southern walls were high and thick and there was a path for going through. Above the entrance facing the north, people hung a big sign made of marble on which three Han (Chinese) words meaning “Hai Van Border-pass” were engraved; and above the entrance facing the south there is another marble sign with six Han words which mean “The most grandiose landscape of life”.
From the height around 500 metres, the mountain pass of oceanic clouds have brought us impressive sceneries of the long-lying coastline of Vietnam. On the mountain pass’s peak, there is a small temple worshipping Mountainous Deity which is materialised as a statue of tiger – the lord of jungle while other small temples locating along the mountain pass are made to commemorate people meeting accidents there. Here, at some blockhouses called Post One which were built by French colonials in 1826 to keep this pass, moss has grown during the long time. From these places, they can control the entire pass from two sides. Post One has witnessed many rebellions of Vietnamese people during the time fighting against conquering troops. Later, these blockhouses were transferred to American soldiers and then Vietnamese People’s Army and it was used to be a bastion for firing to Da Nang.
What the nature has blessed, passing through human beings’ hands, will then become humanistic civilised values. Visiting Hai Van means going to the intersection of two regions (Da Nang and Thua Thien – Hue); satisfying the desire of controlling the height; mixing ourselves with the echo of the history that still maintains the ancient Vietnamese people’s footmarks breaking the land; and also fretting with the profound past of the Middle region of the country.
TUY LOAN ANCIENT VILLAGE :
Location: Tuy Loan Village is located far 15km to the south west along the National Highway No14B from Da Nang City.
Characteristic: Tuy Loan Ancient Village is over 500 years old and imbue with mark of traditional and cultural character of Vietnam rural.
The worshipping house’s Stele of the five families says that five predecessors of the five families Dang, Lam, Nguyen, Tran, Le were called for going to Binh Chiem to widen the country by King Le Thanh Ton. They chose this place, which was named Tuy Loan, to build village to make the living.
The Tuy Loan Village Temple was built in the first year of Thanh Thai’s reign (1889). There is a chronicle of 3-time doctor Nguyen Khue – Thanh Tri – Hanoi that says the event of building this temple on the stellar in the village. The temple includes one forecourt, one main hall made of valuable wood and roofed with tiles. In front of the yard are the pillars, the screen that look bright. Moreover, the house was built to worship the ancestors. The surface of the temple and the worshipping house is 8,008m2. Over one century, all still maintain its status quo under the bunya tree. On the 11th, 12th days of the eighth lunar month every year, there is a big anniversary in the village.
Thanks to its good position, it is the meeting point of the waterways and roadways. Tuy Loan has developed strongly, prosperously. Tuy Loan Market has nearly all the specialities of the region such as the wood products from the west, fish and fish soup from Hoi An, Danang, the conical hats and “nong ro” from Cam Ne, Yen Ne… The tourists that visit Ba Na, Dai Loc should stop at Tuy Loan to visit the old village, go sightseeing around the market on the watering place, and enjoy the delicious Quang noodles and Tuy Loan “banh trang” to make their trip much more interesting.
CAM NE MAT VILLAGE :
The Ne Mats were used in the royal palace of Nguyen Dynasty. The artists of Cam Ne Village were honored and rewarded by the Kings. This village is located in Hoa Tien Village, Hoa Vang District, According to the old people of this village, mat craft is originated from Hoang Hoa, Thanh Hoa Province.
It was handed down to the people in the south in the 15th century when Le Thanh Tong won Chiem Thanh and merged Do Ban into Quang Nam – Danang. From that moment till now, having suffered from the ups and downs, the separation of the war, the competition of the imported nylon mat, Cam Ne Village still exists peacefully.
With the raw materials like sedge, and the delicate knitting frame, the artists of Cam Ne have made many flowered sedge mats of all sizes with beautiful designs to meet the demands of the market in the north and the south. The Cam Ne mats is much thicker, better, softer than the ones in other places. Especially in the hot summer, lying on the Cam Ne mats, you will feel cool, and in the winter, you will feel warm with the pure fragrance of sedge. The Cam Ne Mat Village is near the peaceful rivers, Yen Ne “nong ro” Village, La Bong conical Hat Village.